Saturday, September 27, 2008

Flora's Dare hits the Big Time!

Speaking of reviews, FLORA'S DARE hits the big-time with a shout-out in Salon.

To wit:

"Flora's Dare" by Ysabeau S. Wilce
Flora Fyrdraaca, the teenage heroine of Ysabeau Wilce's spirited young-adult novels, comes from an eminent military/political family but aspires to be a ranger, which in her imaginary land resembles a cross between a musketeer and a wizard. Like the first book in the series, "Flora Segunda," "Flora's Dare" features the pacing of a madcap farce, the intrigues of a Dorothy Dunnett novel and a Wonderland version of San Francisco in which the human residents are the colonial subjects of some vaguely Aztec-bird-headed overlords. Weird in the best possible way, Wilce's novels are what girl readers graduating from the Harry Potter books ought to be reading instead of the insipid "Twilight" series. The author's Web site is fun, too. -- Laura Miller

I'd be a total liar if I said I wasn't tickled shocking pink to be proffered as a much better alternative to the Twilight books, which IMHO deserve a epithet a bit stronger than "insipid".

Still Flora and I are both pleased and honoured at the attention.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I read those stupid Twilight books and, while they were entertaining, I felt all icky and soiled once I starting thinking about them.

But I just finished Flora's Dare, and I'm thinking about wrongs to right and people to inspire. Also, it's 4am.