Thursday, March 15, 2007

Califa Vocab: Made Up Words!

By the way, a recent review accused me of using "made up" words in Flora Segunda. I'd like to state for the record that, with only one or two exceptions, I did not use any made up words in Flora Segunda!

Some of my vocab may be arcane, out-of-date, or just plain obscure, but I promise you (almost) none of it spilled forth from my imagination. Most can be found in the Dictionary of Record, the OED. Some it requires Partridge's Dictionary of Slang. Some sources are even more arcane. But it's all real. Being not even a teeny tiny bit of the linguist that other much more august writers might be, I wouldn't dare to embark upon making up my own words. If you aren't an Oxford don, therein lies Trouble.

Besides, with all those lovely words out there waiting to be used, why would I want to make any up?

So next time, watch those mingy howlers, pluggy, or we might be coming to milvads, or worse, I might erucate into fulginous fury and after clocking you in the eyghen defenestrate you.

No comments: