Thursday, January 25, 2007

Words, Words, Words...

Fooling about on the internet, I came across this super cool Word site, The Urban Dictionary. It bills itself as: "The Urban Dictionary is a slang dictionary with your definitions. Define your world."

As you may have gathered, I love words, and there is something particularly fascinating at how language grows and changes organically, despite attempts by linguists and grammarians to rein it in. So the idea of a site where the public can submit and define words just tickles me. I urge you to check The Urban Dictionary out.

With one caveat. The site doesn't appear to be moderated, so some of the language is coarse, rude, or deals with adult topics. (I suspect that suddenly the site is much more interesting to some of you!). Click at your own risk!

I have already learned such new and useful terms as "to musk up", "king kong", "glass feet" and "cheet".

Shakespeare would love the Urban Dictionary...

"To musk up or not to musk up...
That is the question..."

No comments: