Sunday, April 26, 2009

Andre Norton Award!

Woo! Last night, FLORA'S DARE won the Andre Norton Award...

Thrilled, excited, stunned, amazed, wah-wah, all of those things. Sad that I wasn't there to woo in person, but the Amazing Dave Schwartz did the honours for me, and even sent me a text pic of the thing itself. It was hard to see details on the small screen, but still it looked grand!

But I am sad that Dave's SUPERPOWERS did not win the Nebula for Best Novel. It's a great novel, and he's a great writer, and I am very very sure that this Nebula nomination will be the first of many nominations for many different awards.

I was in bed when the news came through; the Captain has been restless at night recently and as soon as he hits the rack I do too, as I know I might be up again soon enough. Of course, I am delighted to win, but I'd also like to exert my new found award winning power (yah right!) to remind everyone of the other Norton nominees, worthy books all.Viz.,

I am also super happy that John Kessel's "Pride and Prometheus" won the Nebula for Best Novelette. I read this story in draft form the year I went to Sycamore Hill; to describe it as a mash up of FRANKENSTEIN and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (what if Victor Frankensteins had been a pal of Mr. Darcy?) is accurate, but the story is oh so much more. It is worth seeking out.

It's unspeakably gratifying to be honoured by one's peers in this fashion, of course, and hopefully the unspeakable gratification will give my current writing a bit of a boost. I'm still hacking away at FLORA'S FURY. I had to ditch the first 35K words that I spent three months working on and start over again--off to the wrong start--and now feel back into the scheme of things, but juggling a baby and a book ain't no joke, as I have discovered.

But that's tomorrow. Today is woot!

5 comments:

Kaethe said...

Congratulations! A well-deserved win against worthy competitors! Soak in it, and enjoy.

Luisa Perkins said...

I just finished reading Flora Segunda; what an utterly fabulous read. I can't wait to get my hands on Flora's Dare. I know well how difficult it is to juggle baby + writing; good luck figuring it out! Lots more Flora, please.

Unknown said...

Belated congratulations! Wow, I need to start cyber-stalking you again. Too much good news gets by me if I don't check in every day.

Luisa Perkins said...

Annnnd I just finished Flora's Dare. Fiking awesome cliffhanger. Write fast, woman; write fast.

Unknown said...

A belated congratulations! I adored both books, but especially loved book the second (blogged about both). Can't wait for the third. You are a wizard of words and the award was well-earned.